Signs of a Damp or Wet Basement

  • Water stains along walls or floor. This could be caused by something simple such as an overflowing laundry tub or it could be a result of water seeping in through basement windows, the walls or the floor.
  • Musty odor or damp smell. Excess moisture in a basement can cause an unmistakable smell.
  • Mold. It could be colored black, brown, yellow or green, and you won’t know for certain if it’s mold without testing it. Often the northwest corner of a house is known as a “cold corner” and susceptible to developing mold.
  • Efflorescence. This condition produces a white or sometimes grayish ash on the walls. Sometimes it sparkles. Efflorescence is caused by salt deposits left behind by evaporating water.
  • Spalling. When water gets inside the surface of concrete, brick or stone, salt deposits from the water cause the surface to flake away, peel or pop off.

DSC06266 IMG_3858a IMG_3859a IMG_4481 IMG_4629

Avoid Mold in your home!

Legacy Home Inspection always encourages you to get to know your home before you buy. This includes taking a long hard look at potential mold, even in a new home. Here are some suggestions and photos that show you what you could run into. Call us today and we will guide you through the process and help you get the right solution..

Avoid Mold in your home!

DSC06266 IMG_1129 IMG_3738a IMG_3813

Mold exists in every household, no matter how spotless you keep it. It’s a natural part of the air in any home. Mold becomes a problem if it is allowed to grow and spread unchecked, which can lead to respiratory problems in those with suppressed immune systems, who suffer froms allergies or have asthma. Severe indoor mold infestations can also affect otherwise healthy people. Once you have located the mold, you can assess the seriousness of the problem.

Solution

Cleaning a small mold problem is not difficult, but you do need to wear a dust mask and rubber gloves. Scrub the area with dishwashing liquid and hot water, then dry it thoroughly. Do not use undiluted bleach to clean mold as the fumes can be irritating. Mix a little bit of baking soda with dishwashing soap if you need a mild abrasive to help remove the mold. Exact measurements aren’t necessary, you just want a paste thick enough not to drip, but thin enough to rinse off easily. Unscented dish soap is best as it will not mask the odor of the mold, helping you to find and remove it all. Keep checking the area during the next few days. If the mold comes back, it means you haven’t located the source of the moisture causing it. You may also have to remove and replace damaged drywall once the mold has been cleaned up, so don’t forget to wear your protective gear when you do so.